Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Want vs. Need

As I'm having trouble sleeping today (after my midnight to eight am shift), I've found myself browsing the Internet. Lately, Pinterest and certain blogs have driven me to think I need certain things in order to be...happy? But as I woke myself up convinced I should check Walmart.com for some things and maybe take a trip over there later today, I literally stopped and asked myself, will those frames and curtains really make you happy? Will that fix everything? Is it worth the trip and the gas and the money and the inevitable buyers remorse later? Probably not.
So I took a break, shut off the laptop and Duke came to cuddle with me and we watched Julie & Julia in honor of the great Julia Child's would-be 100th birthday while snacking on veggie chips and Klondike bars. These are the things that make me happy (especially the Klondike bars. And the puppy). Sure, having a beautifully decorated house to come home to helps and I'm needing I would like to get some replacement clothes because not a whole lot of mine fit anymore thanks to weight I've lost (another thing that makes me happy-working out. Which I should do-I've got a few pounds to go!). But we shouldn't become dependent on these things to fill a void. Keep doing the things that make you happy. Don't feel guilty about them, but try to keep them in check from time to time. And be able to separate the wants from the needs.
So, yet another thing I'm working on...

via

1 comment:

  1. our new favorite quote is " simplicity requires courage". perfect.

    ReplyDelete