Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Healthy eating, and shopping

In addition to keeping up with my daily workouts, I'm also making an effort to eat better. A lot better. Having my gallbladder removed last summer should have been quite the wake up call, but while I don't eat nearly as much fried food, I still have some room for improvement. For example, we had Mexican for dinner tonight. While it was nice to get out of the house and out together, our meals were less than healthy (and frickin delicious). However, we don't eat like this all the time. With the small changes I've been making, meals like this (in moderation) won't knock me off track too much.

via
I've been able to find a lot of inspiration on the web and wanted to share it with y'all. With New Year's resolutions coming up, these might help... or light a fire under some bums to actually make some changes.

via
This yummy looking smoothie was invented by a nutrition and lifestyle coach, who has her own blog with more recipes, etc. It claims to give you a "glow" after two weeks of drinking daily. I made my own version the other morning and while I need some variety in my morning routine, it was pretty dang good. And filling! Which is great, since portion control is something I'm also working on. I don't know if I could make myself drink it every single morning, but it's certainly a nice alternative to a chalky diet shake.

via
In keeping with the theme of breakfast, I've learned that fruits and vegetables are a great snack, can easily make a whole meal, or become a healthy addition to a larger meal. This morning I had strawberries, bananas, and cantaloupe cut up on a plate. Simple. Small portions, but still filling. And full of nutrition with no fat. There are so many variations and possibilities.

Which brings me to my next find. This website is full of beneficial and informative articles. I've found all sorts of things from hair styles for fall to ways to make working out more fun. But the one I was really excited about was the 50 Healthiest Foods for Losing Weight. Not only do they explain why each food is healthy and can help you lose weight, but they've put together a shopping list to take right to the grocery store. I picked about 40 foods from the list a couple days ago and was able to fill up our fridge and pantry with nothing but healthy food. What a simple but smart way to eliminate the opportunity to eat junk?

via (pdf)
Happy shopping, eating, and working out!

No comments:

Post a Comment